Crystal Palace consider sacking Oliver Glasner after manager’s ‘not good enough’ remark

. UK edition

Oliver Glasner at training
Oliver Glasner has overseen one win in Crystal Palace’s past 15 matches. Photograph: Daniel Weir/SPP/Shutterstock

Crystal Palace are considering sacking Oliver Glasner after his latest public outburst in which he said he was ‘just not good enough’ to turn around the club’s fortunes

Crystal Palace are considering sacking Oliver Glasner after his latest public outburst in which the manager said he was “just not good enough” to turn around the club’s fortunes.

Glasner has announced he will leave Palace at the end of the season but it is understood the chair, Steve Parish, could bring forward the Austrian’s departure after supporters turned on the manager during Thursday’s 1-1 draw at Zrinjski Mostar in the Conference League. It is unclear whether Glasner will remain in charge beyond Sunday’s game at home to Wolves, with his assistant Paddy McCarthy in line to step in as a caretaker if needed.

Thomas Frank, sacked by Tottenham last week, is believed to be a contender to take over in the summer. Palace would also be interested in Bournemouth’s Andoni Iraola. The former Republic of Ireland forward Robbie Keane, who is managing the Hungarian side Ferencvaros, has also been mooted as a potential replacement.

Download the Guardian app from the iOS App Store on iPhone or the Google Play store on Android by searching for 'The Guardian'.

If you already have the Guardian app, make sure you’re on the most recent version.

In the Guardian app, tap the Profile settings button at the top right, then select Notifications.

Turn on sport notifications.

On Friday, Glasner defended his record as Palace manager despite a run of one win in their past 15 games but admitted he was unsure whether he would see out the season.

“Let’s see what the future brings,” he said. “You never know. I’m always realistic and we’re not in the best moment right now, and to be honest I understand, and I take responsibility for everything because I’m responsible for the whole team. And right now, I’m just not good enough to replace the players we sold. I’m just not good enough to integrate the new players in a way to play the same way like we did, and I’m not good enough that we can cope with the schedule we had.”

Glasner, who led Palace to the FA Cup last season, winning their first major trophy, and secured the Community Shield, continued: “On the other side, I was good enough to play the best season ever, win two trophies and also to look back 32 points after 26 games. I look back because I like to look back sometimes: Crystal Palace has been better twice. Once was our season last year, and once in 2021.

“Before it was more or less between 25 and 29 points all the time. It looks like even now when everybody is completely angry, disappointed, frustrated, we are playing a better Premier League season than eight of the last 10 seasons Crystal Palace has played. We play European football, and that is the reality.”

Palace have been given a £50,000 fine for a banner that appeared in the crowd at Selhurst Park in August, depicting the owner of Nottingham Forest, Evangelos Marinakis.