Mateta’s Palace dispute deepens after losing appeals to end contract early
Jean-Philippe Mateta wants to leave Crystal Palace and failed in an attempt to have the last year of his contract ruled invalid by a tribunal and Fifa
Jean-Philippe Mateta is in dispute with Crystal Palace over the final year of his contract but failed in an attempt to have it ruled invalid by an independent Premier League tribunal and Fifa. The France striker signed a four-and-a-half-year contract when he joined permanently from Mainz in January 2022 after an initial loan, in a deal that also included the option of a 12-month extension. That was activated by Palace in 2024, with Mateta’s contract now due to expire at the end of this season.
But it is understood the 29-year-old and his representatives have disputed whether that extension was valid and took the case to an independent tribunal under Premier League regulations last season. Official confirmation of the outcome has not been disclosed, although Palace insist Mateta’s contract remains binding and he played in their defeat at Everton on Saturday. Fifa also rejected his claim after ruling it did not have jurisdiction over the dispute. Mateta’s representative has been approached for comment.
In the Guardian app, tap the Profile settings button at the top right, then select Notifications. Turn on sport notifications.
If you already have the Guardian app, make sure you’re on the most recent version.
If you don't have the Guardian app, download it from the iOS App Store on iPhone or the Google Play store on Android by searching for 'The Guardian'.
Mateta has been trying to force through a move from Selhurst Park for some time and it is understood he has interest from Aston Villa, who are considering whether to sell Ollie Watkins to the Saudi Arabian side Al-Hilal. Mateta failed a medical with Milan in January because of a knee problem after the Italian side had agreed a fee of around £30m and spent two months on the sidelines before returning to help Palace win the Conference League. Mateta was booed by some sections of supporters at first and is likely to get another frosty reception when Manchester City visit south London on Friday night in their first home match of the new campaign.
Meanwhile, Pierre Sage has insisted that Ismaïla Sarr will remain at the club despite strong interest from Galatasaray. The Senegal forward missed the 2-0 defeat at Everton due to what Sage described as a “pain in his groin” and Palace’s new manager dismissed reports that the 28-year-old had refused to travel to Merseyside because he wants to leave.
“We took the decision before the session with the doctor, the player, and me, to let him get treatment and do an individual session, and he will be back on Monday with us,” he said. “For the moment, we don’t want him to leave. He is under contract with us with three years to go and he will be with us on Monday.”
Palace are also braced for more interest this week in Adam Wharton and Daniel Muñoz, who has entered the final two years of his contract and has been linked with Everton, Nottingham Forest and Tottenham. They have already agreed a loan move for Chelsea’s Axel Disasi but may be forced into signing another centre back before the deadline if fears over Chadi Riad’s knee injury are proved correct.
The Moroccan, who was out for more than a year after suffering an anterior cruciate ligament injury on his second appearance for the club after joining in 2024, was carried off on a stretcher after attempting to block a cross in the second half against Everton. “I hope it will be better than we think,” said Sage. “We await the medical tests.”