Two police officers killed in North Yorkshire crash named as Matthew Blades and Tom Clough

. UK edition

A number of police cars and vans parked on the carriageway in front of an incident tent
Police officers at the scene of the crash on the A66 in South Bank, near Middlesbrough. Photograph: Owen Humphreys/PA

Watchdog launches inquiry into collision in which seven people died involving police car and another vehicle

Two police officers who died in a car crash near Middlesbrough in the early hours of Saturday have been named.

Police constables Matthew Blades and Tom Clough were among seven people killed after their marked police car collided with a Volkswagen Passat travelling the wrong way along the A66 in North Yorkshire.

Victoria Fuller, chief constable of Cleveland police, said it was an “incredibly sad day” for the force.

“The loss has been felt across our communities, by our police family and by our partner agencies,” she said.

She described Blades and Clough as “brave officers protecting our communities and serving our residents who didn’t return home to their families at the end of their shift”.

Fuller added that she had visited the families of both officers to “offer our condolences and support”.

The force confirmed that all occupants of both vehicles were pronounced dead at the scene.

The police watchdog, the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC), said it understood the officers had been pursuing a suspicious vehicle when the accident occurred at 3.39am.

It has launched a mandatory investigation and is working with officers from Cleveland police to establish the circumstances surrounding the crash.

“This tragic incident will be felt across Cleveland, within our communities and throughout the entire policing family,” Fuller added.

“We are providing specialist support to all families involved at this extremely difficult time.”

Fuller said Cleveland police would “cooperate fully” with the IOPC investigation.

“While this investigation takes place, we strongly urge people to avoid speculation,” she said.

Writing on X on Saturday afternoon, the prime minister, Andy Burnham, said: “Devastated to hear that two police officers have lost their lives while on duty in Cleveland this morning, as well as five members of the public.

“My thoughts are with the families and loved ones of everyone involved, and with everyone at Cleveland police.

“Thank you to the emergency services responding in incredibly difficult circumstances. I would urge people to avoid speculation at this time.”

North East ambulance service said it had been called to a two-vehicle crash and sent 14 units to the scene including ambulance crews, a specialist paramedic, a hazardous area response team and a doctor from Great North air ambulance service.

A spokesperson said: “Sadly, despite the best efforts of everyone attending, a number of patients died at the scene.

“We send condolences to all of those affected by such a tragic event and thank everyone for all they did to help.”

Mahmood said: “Cleveland police have my support as they work to identify all those involved.

“Police officers put their own safety on the line to protect their communities every single day. The two officers were on active duty, serving the people of Cleveland.

“My thoughts are with all those affected, their families, friends, the emergency services who attended the scene and the wider police family.”

Anna Turley, the MP for the Redcar constituency where the crash happened, said: “My heart goes out to every family, friend and loved one now facing the most unimaginable loss following this morning’s devastating accident on the A66.

“Two of the seven people who have lost their lives were Cleveland police officers, on duty serving our community. They went to work to keep people safe, and they should have come home to their families. Their loss will be felt deeply by their loved ones, fellow officers and right across the communities they served.

“I cannot begin to imagine how difficult this has been for the emergency services responding to such a devastating incident. Thank you to every one of them for their courage, care and professionalism.”

The crash marks the first time in 14 years that more than one police officer has died on duty while responding to the same incident.

In September 2012, the Greater Manchester police officers Fiona Bone, 32, and Nicola Hughes, 23, were killed in a gun and grenade attack in Mottram, Tameside, during what appeared to be routine burglary call.

They were lured to their deaths by Dale Cregan, now 43, who was already on the run, having committed several other murders. He was given a whole-life jail term in 2013.